And the Daily Breeze 11/28/2012 newspaper front page headline reads “Inside LAUSD’s “teacher jail”. And we weep…or do we?
Frederick Douglass was an American social reformer, orator, writer, and statesman. He became the first African American nominated for Vice President of the United States as the running mate of Victoria Woodhull on the impracticable and small Equal Rights Party ticket. He said “It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.” Do children have equal rights?
These words are prophetic as they also apply to the pedophilia scandal, raging in the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts of America, Penn State University, and our Public School system. And while the children cannot defend themselves, there is a quiet vacuum within our culture from those of us who will not rise up in justified anger, and be the change we seek.
The Church, the Universities, the Boy Scouts of America and our Public School system has thrown up the parapets of defense and they are winning. Less than 1% of the cleric derelicts have gone to prison due to “settlements”. The Teachers unions stand, like the Church, like the Boy Scouts of America, like Penn State University, in excessive hideous defense of these criminals spouting the accolades of innocent until proven guilty. In the extreme this is the argument of the insane fringes of the radical progressives and currentism. It is hard, if possible, to rehabilitate victims, and yet it should be reasonably easy to marginalize derelicts and institutionalize criminals. But this is not our culture. Thank God for principled lawyers. Where is our silent majority?
The following is a small sampling of the 2012 chronology of pedophilia. A simple tour of http://www.bishop-accountability.org/ is enlightening. And the world of the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts of America, our Public School System, and the likes of Penn State is worse and growing.
a. LA Times – 01/05/12 L.A. –Area Bishop, Father of Two Resigns by Scott Gold, Louis Sahagun, Teresa Watanabe
b. LA Times – 01/05/12 Canada; Bishop maybe free in porn case page A7
c. Easy Reader – 01/26/12 Grey get three years for lewd act by Alene Tchekmedyian. M.B. CA 90266 page 14
d. HUFFPOST Education 01/28/12 Matthew J. Nelson, Missouri Elementary School Teacher, Accused Of Molesting Young Boys by Bill Draper
e. LA Times – 01/31/12 Teacher charged with lewd acts allegedly told kids it was ‘game’ by Richard Winton
f. Seattle Times – 02/02/12 Second student files sexual molestation claim against popular teacher at Hamilton High School in Los Angeles Despite reports of abuse, LA district defends teacher by Grieg Risling
g. News of Delaware – 02/10/12 Second student files sexual molestation claim County: News Report: Montco probes death of Cardinal defends Cardinal Bevilacqua
h. Associated Press – 01/09/12 Furor in Greece over pedophilia as a disability by Nicholas Paphitis
i. LA Times – 02/19/12 Boy Scouts sued in abuse case by Kim Christensen
j. KTLA.Com – 02/20/12 Tustin Teacher’s Aide Arrested For Lewd Acts With Teen by Olga Ospina’s Report
k. LA Times – 03/25/12 Mexicans pour in for Benedict XVI’s Mass by Tracy Wilkinson
l. HUFFPOST Crime – 03/29/12 Philadelphia Priest Sex Abuse Trial Rev. Francis Trauger Stalked Boy, Witness Says by Michael McLaughlin
m. LA Times – 04/22/12 Nuns shaken, insulted by Vatican reprimand by Steve Lopez
n. LA Times – 04/22/12 No Day in the Park for O.C. sex convicts, by Nicole Santa Cruz
o. HUFFPOST Religion – 05/06/12 Five Priests Accused Of Sexual Abuse Removed From Ministry In Philadelphia by David Gibson Religion News Service
p. Daily Breeze – 05/05/12 Daily Breeze gets documents on 23 cases of teacher misconduct by Rob Kuznia
q. LA Times – 05/06/12 LAUSD named in abuse suit by Nicole Santa Cruz
r. HUFFPOST Religion – 06/01/12 Cardinal Timothy Dolan Allegedly Paid Suspected Pedophile Priests To Leave Ministry While Head Of Archdiocese Of Milwaukee by HUFF POST web site
s. Business Insider – 06/01/12 A Bizarre Look Inside A Pedophile Priest’s Sex Diary Law and Order by Abby Rogers
t. North Texas e-News – 06/09/12 HSI arrests 190 child predators, rescues 18 victims during “Operation Orion by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
u. HUFFPOST Religion – 06/17/12 Pope To Irish: Child Abuse By Clergy A ‘Mystery’ That Shook Faith by Frances D’Emilio
v. Boston Herald.com – 06/22/12 Priest’s conviction hailed as a victory for all children abused by priests by John P. Martin and Joseph A. Slobodzian/The Philadelphia Inquirer
w. Associated Press – 06/21/12 Jerry Sandusky trial: Former Penn State assistant coach convicted on 45 of 48 counts by SI “Watershed Moment for America”
x. Associated Press – 06/23/12 Attorneys Seek Mistrial Over Priest’s Testimony by Paul Elias, Associated Press
y. HUFFPOST Religion – 08/19/12 Confessions of an Ex-Priest: How Catholic Seminary Forms Victims and Forces False Forgiveness by Tom Rastrelli
z. LA Times – 08/24/12 “Retired priest gets jail in abuse case”, “O.C. priest to spend a year in jail for molesting boy in
1990s” by Rick Rojas
aa. Daily Breeze – 10/20/12 Archdiocese of Los Angeles to release accused priests’ files to judge in December by Christina Villacorte
bb. LA Times – 11/28/12 “Scoutmaster’s slaying, sexual abuse claims roil New Jersey town.”, “Dennis Pegg was regarded as a mentor to children in Stillwater, N.J., but a suspect in his killing says Pegg abused him in the Boy Scouts” by Tina Susman
cc. Daily Breeze – 11/28/12 LAUSD ‘jails’ fill with teachers as misconduct complaints rise Judge in December by Barbara Jones
- “For more than a decade, auxiliary bishop of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Gabino Zavala had harbored a dark secret. He is the father, church officials said, of two children, and had resigned his post..[….].
- “A Canadian Roman Catholic bishop who admitted that he was addicted to looking at child pornography has been sentenced to 15 months in jail, but was expected to be released with credit for time served.”
- “Christopher Wayne Gray, 28, the former Mira Costa High School instructional assistant arrested in October for sexual misconduct with a student, was sentenced to three years in state prison on one felony count of lewd act upon a child on Jan. 5, 2012 according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office.”
- “GRAIN VALLEY, Mo. – A popular suburban Kansas City elementary school teacher who also helped coach children’s soccer teams has been charged with molesting four boys in his second-grade classroom, and police say they are looking for other possible victims.
- “A Miramonte Elementary School teacher who taught for three decades in South L.A. told students they would be playing “a game” before tying them up and feeding them from a spoon possibly containing semen, sources said.
- “The (Mark Berndt) case also prompted Deasy (Los Angeles Unified School District Superintendent John Deasy) to fire a high school teacher who is being sued over allegations he had sex with students. T
- “NORRISTOWN, Pa. (AP) — A county coroner says he examined the body of late Philadelphia Cardinal Anthony Bevilacqua at the request of prosecutors because of the odd timing of his death a day after he was found competent to testify at a high-profile church sex abuse trial. […]
- ATHENS, Greece (AP) – Greek disability groups expressed anger Monday at a government decision to expand a list of state-recognized disability categories to include pedophiles, exhibitionists and kleptomaniacs.
- A Santa Barbara County boy was sexually abused by his Scout leader in 2007.
- IRVINE, Calif. (KTLA) – A 41-year-old Irvine woman who works as a teacher’s aide in Tustin has been arrested on charges of having sexual contact with a teenage boy.
- Few know of the abusive reign of Reverend Marcial Maciel Degollado who founded the Legion of Christ and the Regnum Christi movement. He was accused of pedophilia early in his life. He fathered at least one child himself. It is reported that he was well known in Rome during his life. He was generous with cash endowments to the Cardinals and the Vatican.
- “In a far-reaching sex crimes cover-up trial underway in Philadelphia, a former Catholic high school student testified today that a priest stalked him, locked him in a school conference room and ordered him to unzip his pants. The explosive testimony came on the third day of a historic trial against two Roman catholic priests in the Philadelphia archdiocese.
- “Nuns feel shaken and insulted after the Vatican rapped them hard on the knuckles for not toeing the line.” “In Philadelphia last week, a child sexual abuse trial involving Catholic clergy led to a bombshell — a bishop from West Virginia was accused of abuse.”
- “Nearly half of the county’s cities have adopted the ‘child safety zone’ law that bans sex offenders from parks, beaches, playgrounds and hiking trails. Critics say it’s an ineffective feel-good measure.” This is the result of a managed decline of morality abstractly contrived, diminished by Church, Federal and community Governments, derelict and corrupted public and private leadership, the growth of radical secularism.
- Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput announced Friday (May 4) that five priests accused of sexually abusing children last year would be barred from ministry and could be defrocked, while three others were cleared by a church-led investigation and could return to pastoral work.[….]
- “Cooperation among the South Bay school districts was varied, but the vast majority responded in some fashion. In all, the dozen districts turned over about 23 cases dating back five years. There are 63,000 reported teachers in LAUSD. The Daily Breeze should be ashamed of its shallow reporting on this issue. The Miramonte Elementary School in the Los Angeles Unified School District scandal is the tip of the ice berg, not an aberration. “Research” just the one case, Miramonte Elementary School in the “LAUSD named in abuse suit”, by Nicole Santa Cruz 05/05/12.
- “L.A. Unified is named in negligence lawsuit. Twenty former Miramonte Elementary students say they were victims of abuse and that the district did not do enough to protect students who lodged complaints. This article was buried on page A31 , The Region Section of the LAT 05/05/12. Secular progressive child abuse is morality abstractive contrived and many orders of magnitude worse than the Church sexual abuse scandal.
- “The Survivors Network of Those Abused by Priests characterizes the payments as a payoff and bonuses to priests who molested children. The archdiocese disputes that characterization, saying the payments were in part to more quickly move those men out of the priesthood. According to the document, members discussed offering “un-assignable priests” $20,000 to accept the process known as laicization.” Cleric pedophiles have long been paid financial “settlements “that free the Church from jury trials and allows predators to stay free to sin again. Research the Los Angeles settlements under Roger Cardinal Mahoney which are in excess of $700 million.
- A Franciscan priest who was once molested himself as a boy provided a candid, and at times disturbing, look into the mind of a pedophile to his therapist.[…]
- WASHINGTON — One hundred ninety individuals were arrested, and 18 victims identified and rescued by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) special agents during a month long, nationwide operation targeting individuals who possessed, received, transported, distributed, advertised or produced images or videos of child pornography. The pedophilia scandal is orders of magnitude bigger and more pervasive the public sector as evidenced by the Catholic Church, Penn State and the LAUSD sexual abuse epidemic.
- “VATICAN CITY — Pope Benedict XVI told Irish Catholics on Sunday it is a mystery why priests and other church officials abused children entrusted in their care, undermining faith in the church “in an appalling way.”
- “PHILADELPHIA — A jury convicted Msgr. William J. Lynn of child endangerment Friday, finding that as the Archdiocese of Philadelphia secretary for clergy, he ignored credible warning signs about a priest who later sexually assaulted a 10-year-old altar boy.”
- “BELLEFONTE, Pa.—Jerry Sandusky was convicted Friday of sexually assaulting 10 boys over 15 years, a swift and emphatic end to a case that shattered Penn State University’s Happy Valley image and brought down Hall of Fame football coach Joe Paterno.”
- “Attorneys representing a California man charged with assaulting a priest, Father Jerold Lindner, who he claims raped him decades ago demanded a mistrial late Friday.[…]”
- “This is information taken from the Woodburn police department’s probable cause statement. On Monday, Rev. Angel Armando Perez was arrested. He faces allegations of first-degree sexual abuse, furnishing alcohol to a minor, using a child in display of sexually explicit conduct, and driving under the influence. [..].”
- Retired priest Father Denis Lyons will have to register as a sex offender for molesting a Costa Mesa grade-school student in the parish rectory and the church more than a decade ago.
- Five years after promising to do so, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles will hand over the confidential personnel files of about 200 priests accused of sexual abuse and child molestation to a judge in December. Those documents – with the names of innocent individuals redacted – will ultimately be made public under the Archdiocese’s record $660 million settlement in 2007 to 508 people who said they were victims.
- Dennis Pegg was regarded as a mentor to children in Stillwater, N.J., but a suspect in his killing says Pegg abused him in the Boy Scouts.
- They call it “teacher jail” – the administrative offices where nearly 300 Los Angeles Unified educators accused of misconduct spend months on end reading, blogging or texting.
Where are we the populous? Do we rise up and squash this nonsense, disabuse the defenders, or do we accept status quo, a weak religious and secular culture and a dysfunctional, criminal portion of our educational system with unconscionable, reprehensible teachers, and equally as accountable as those teachers who are bad, those teachers that know, and Union leaders that know and do nothing but hide or defend. Shame on us?
Almost all of these institutions depend on us for tax dollars, contributions, tithing, tuition, salary, retirement and bloated unsustainable legacy costs. Simply turn off the largess, the beasts will wither and hopefully cease to exist and principled institutions will emerge.
“A religion (or morality) that takes no account of practical affairs and does not help to solve them is no religion. An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. A ‘No’ uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a ‘Yes’ merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.”
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.” And the pedophiles have learned this wisdom.
This is one of the hallmarks of a culture moving away from Judeo-Christian philosophy to secularism. When we learn to love our children as much as our country, then and only then will we be willing to shoulder a responsibility that equates to “I regret I have but one life to give” for this cause, for these children, if that is what it takes. And then the opposition will have met its match. Until then, leave room on the above and growing list.
And we weep…or do we?
[amazon_image id=”0674028104″ link=”true” target=”_blank” size=”medium” ]Holding Bishops Accountable: How Lawsuits Helped the Catholic Church Confront Clergy Sexual Abuse[/amazon_image]